On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 23:40:24 -0500, Gerard Ashton wrote

> The note at http://www.loc.gov/standards/datetime/spec.html#bcnote
> is a lie and an attempt to steal notation from the culture that

I personally can't accept terms such as BC or AD since they clearly are
themselves incorrect and not just "lies" but also inconsistent within their
own dogma--- few Christians believe that Josua ben Yosef was born in the
year Zero.

> developed it. It makes the entire spec smell bad.

What culture? By that argument we should abandon it entirely.

> Gerard Ashton

The selection of the Gregorian calendar as the basis for our "International"
date/time is arbitrary and a product of history more than much else. As an
"International" time it, however, has a life outside of the Catholic Church
and its standards are decided within the UN (ISO) and not within the Vatican.

--

Edward C. Zimmermann, NONMONOTONIC LAB
http://www.nonmonotonic.net