 From: C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
 Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 1:14 PM

> 10 Ambiguity, orthogonality, etc.
>
> It's not clear whether the intention is that suffixes like '?' and '~'
> are intended to be orthogonal to the form used on their left (so that
> they can follow both hyphenated and unhyphenated forms);

Can you have, for example,

             1990~?

The spec doesn't answer that question.  I am inclined to say no, because,
although this simple example is straightforward (perhaps) it could be a
syntactical nightmare when you tag portions of the string and have to
include parenthesis delimiters. And of course the hypenation would make it
more complicated.

Other thoughts on this?

--Ray