On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 6:46 AM, Edward C. Zimmermann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 17:19:22 -0500, Ray Denenberg wrote

Agreed. To clarify, my view is that our primary goal is to extend ISO
8601: to have machine-readable representations of cases it does not
cover. To this end, EDTF should be more-or-less a superset of ISO
8601. Therefore, the extension should be written in a way consistent
with that spec. I think that inevitably suggests a level of (human)
readability.

>> I agree with Bruce on this point. We have no mandate to standardize
>> a format for user input.  A standard for user input might be useful
>
> ISO 8601 is, in fact, a standard format for user input. Its
> one among many. What we are designing here is an extension,
> viz. a standard also suitable for user input. Our goal is not
> to design the "ideal"--- as if there was such a beast-- format
> for user input but its a format none-the-less and with the
> features and extensions we have proposed it shall be, if it
> meets the demands for data interchange we have set upon us
> also provide a functionally richer it not superior user format...

As above, fair enough.

Bruce