I would also assume that we need only represent a year (and even then often only an approximation) and not month and day, or time.

Proposal:

1. change the profile so that all years based on ISO 8601 syntax are four digits.

2. Introduce the following syntax.  Note that we already use the character E to signal certain "extensions".  Use EY to signal that a year follows, and the syntax is

            EY[year]

where [year] may be (a) a plain (or signed) integer, e.g. 100001; or (b) an integer in scientific notation e.g. 17*10^9

Comments please.

--Ray