On Jan 11, 2011, at 9:11 AM, Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress wrote:

> I would also assume that we need only represent a year (and even then often only an approximation) and not month and day, or time.
>
> Proposal:
>
> 1. change the profile so that all years based on ISO 8601 syntax are four digits.
>
> 2. Introduce the following syntax.  Note that we already use the character E to signal certain "extensions".  Use EY to signal that a year follows, and the syntax is
>
>            EY[year]
>
> where [year] may be (a) a plain (or signed) integer, e.g. 100001; or (b) an integer in scientific notation e.g. 17*10^9
>
> Comments please.

I'm not sure on the actual use cases for this, but if you do want to
use scientific notation, I think you'll achieve better compatibility with
most existing IT usage (and most existing libraries for handling
numbers) if you use the form "17E9" or "17e9" for it.

* http://www.blackmesatech.com
* http://cmsmcq.com/mib
* http://balisage.net