>I have a follow up question to those with OPAC's that index EAD (minus
>Eric as he already explained).  How deep does the EAD indexing go?  Is
>only collection level information scrapped or can users search directly
>into container lists from the general OPAC?

Harvard's indexes the full finding aid.

>Okay one more, how does the OPAC interact with the EAD xml files?  Is EAD
>information scrapped (EAD header?  Collection level <did>?) and a MARC
>record generated or does the index work directly with the XML?

The collection-level MARC record and the finding aids both exist.  In the
opac, there is a link right below the title for "more about this
collection" that opens the full finding aid.

An example:
<http://holliscatalog.harvard.edu/?itemid=%7Clibrary/m/aleph%7C009516273>http://holliscatalog.harvard.edu/?itemid=|library/m/aleph|009516273

Click on <<more about this collection>> to see the finding aid with links
to digitized contents
To get back to the bib. record, click on "Standard view"

>Thanks again!
>
>Nathan
>
>On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Nathan Tallman
><<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Just out of curiosity, is anyone using an online catalog that is entirely
>EAD-based?  I know many institutions catalog monographs and other items
>more suitable for MARC, but not everyone might.  It's certainly possible
>and an interesting idea.
>
>On the flip side, does anyone's traditional online catalog index EAD as
>well as MARC?  Maybe a federated search of some sort.  Seems like I
>remember seeing one.
>
>Happy Friday!
>
>Nathan Tallman,
>Associate Archivist