On 1/28/2011 6:48 AM, Jane Stevenson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The Archives Hub has a contributor who wants to include the location
> of the reading room in the EAD descriptions. This is because they
> have two separate sites, with some archives at one and some at another,
> but they are both part of the same repository. I don't think there is
> anything within EAD that answers this type of need.

According to the Tag Library's description of Repository, "When it is clear that
the physical custodian does not provide intellectual access, use <physloc> to
identify the custodian and <repository> to designate the intellectual
caretaker."  So I think physloc would be an appropriate choice.

The description of physloc says, "Information identifying the place where the
described materials are stored, such as the *name or number of the building*,
room, stack, shelf, or other tangible area."  That sounds like exactly what
they're looking for.  It can go in any <did> so it could be used at the highest
level.

> Could you add some kind of identifier for each reading room and then
> let use the stylesheet to display the different locations?

That would work too -- the plus here being if the address or name ever changes,
a change to the style sheet will update all the finding aids.

Michele