Elizabeth,

I would use <physfacet> (a child of <physdesc>) for that information.
From the tag library
(http://www.loc.gov/ead/tglib/elements/physfacet.html):

<physfacet> Physical Facet
A <physdesc> subelement for information about an aspect of the
appearance of the described materials, such as their color, style,
marks, substances, materials, or techniques and methods of creation.
It is used especially to note aspects of appearance that affect or
limit use of the materials. It generally should not be used for
aspects of physical description that are covered more directly by the
<genreform> may be appropriate for further specification within some
<physfacet> instances.

I hope this helps.

Mike