Fax: (202) 208-6773

Let us know how well we are serving you.  Please fill out the brief survey at the link below.  Thank you.

http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/?p=WEB229VB7Q6HXP

-----Forwarded by George D Franchois/NBC/OS/DOI on 01/18/2011 09:23AM -----

To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
From: George D Franchois/NBC/OS/DOI
Date: 01/11/2011 07:22AM
cc: Eric Pominville/NACC/NPS@NPS
Subject: DOI Library Park Ranger Speaker Series - "The Union in Crisis: Part I" - Tuesday, January 18th, 1:00 pm

Hi Everyone -

Please join us for the next in our regular monthly series of free Department of the Interior Library Park Ranger Speaker Series lectures, entitled "The Union in Crisis, Part I," on Tuesday, January 18th from 1:00 - 1:45 pm in the Department of the Interior Library.

In part one of a two part series commemorating the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War, Park Ranger Eric Pominville will cover the sensational events of the final four months of President James Buchanan’s lame-duck administration. Was the Civil War inevitable? Did President Buchanan throw up his hands in frustration or did he try to resolve the situation? Is Buchanan’s reputation as one of our worst presidents fully deserved? Among the topics to be covered will be Abraham Lincoln’s election in November 1860, the South Carolina Ordinance of Secession, Buchanan’s reaction to the developing national crisis, the Washington Peace Conference of 1861, the firing on the relief ship The Star of the West, the Baltimore Plot to assassinate President-Elect Lincoln, and Mr. Lincoln’s inauguration on March 4, 1861.

All that are interested are invited.  The DOI Library is located in the Main Interior Building, located at 1849 C Street, NW, Room 1151 in Washington.  Space is limited so please contact the Library by phone at (202) 208-5815 or by e-mail at [log in to unmask] to let us know you will be coming.    For more information about future DOI Library Park Ranger Speaker Series programs, we encourage you to visit our Park Ranger Speaker Series website at
http://library.doi.gov/programs/speaker/index.html  .

We hope to see you on January 18th!

George Franchois
Director