From: Information Today [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2011 11:35 AM
To: Oliver, James
Subject: A Revolution in Digital Publishing in Today's ITI NewsLink

A couple articles about some FEDLINK vendors:
NewsBank, Tutor.com and Nature Publishing Group.

Have a great day,
Jim
Monday, January 10, 2011

Inside this Issue

NewsBreaks
Weekly News Digests
NewsLink Spotlight
ITI Snap Poll
ITI Blogs
ITI News
Other ITI Newsletters

BestBizWeb Enewsletter<http://www.bestbizweb.com>
CRM eWeekly<http://www.destinationcrm.com/Newsletters/>
EContent Xtra<http://www.econtentmag.com/ecxtra/>
Enterprise Search Xtra<http://www.enterprisesearchcenter.com/Newsletters>
EventDV Spotlight<http://www.eventdv.net/>
Information Today Europe eNews<http://www.infotoday.eu/Newsletter/>
KMWorld Newslinks<http://www.kmworld.com/newslinks/>
MultiMedia & Internet@Schools Xtra<http://www.mmischools.com/newsletters/>
Speech Technology EWeekly<http://www.speechtechmag.com/eWeekly>
Streaming Media Xtra<http://www.streamingmedia.com/Newsletters/>

[http://www.infotoday.com/images_nl/newslink/468x60_v2.gif]<http://tracking.onlineinc.com/sponsorhit.aspx?sponsorship_id=17463>

New APA Books(r) E-Collection 2011

APA Books E-Collection 2011 offers exclusive access to the first electronic release of APA-published scholarly and professional titles in the 2011 copyright year. All E-Collections are delivered on APA PsycNET(r).

Visit www.apa.org/pubs/books/e-collections<http://tracking.onlineinc.com/sponsorhit.aspx?sponsorship_id=17463> for more information.

NewsBreaks

First One: Leading the Digital Revolution<http://newsbreaks.infotoday.com/NewsBreaks/First-One-Leading-the-Digital-Revolution-73154.asp>
by Theresa Cramer

When Karen Hunter started noticing a shift in publishing a few years ago, she says, "I was treated like Chicken Little." A journalist for more than 15 years, the co-author of several books (including the best-selling I Make My Own Rules with L.L. Cool J) and a self-professed tech geek, she says she told her co-workers at Simon & Schuster, "Something's going on that we need to capitalize on." Just like at most publishing companies, Hunter's warnings went unheeded, and as she puts it, "We got jacked." Digital publishing exploded, and even now-as ereaders flood the market-many companies are still trying to figure out how to make money from ebooks. Now, with the Jan. 11 launch of First One Digital Publishing, Hunter is trying to make up ground and help publishing regain some of its power with a new business model.
Weekly News Digests

Tutor.com Launches New Mobile and Personal Features<http://newsbreaks.infotoday.com/Digest/Tutorcom-Launches-New-Mobile-and-Personal-Features-73151.asp>
Tutor.com released a new look and new mobile and personal features to its thousands of library, school, and military sites. Tutor.com reports that it is the first online homework-help company to release a mobile application for library patrons. The Tutor.com library advisory council, data from more than one million student surveys, and feedback from a network of 2,200 tutors drove the development process. New features are available to current clients at no additional cost and were showcased at the Midwinter ALA Meeting.
NPG Introduces Mobile and Article 'Rental' Access Options<http://newsbreaks.infotoday.com/Digest/NPG-Introduces-Mobile-and-Article-Rental-Access-Options-73152.asp>
Nature Publishing Group (NPG) introduced a range of new affordable access options for readers. A number of Nature journals now offer 24-hour "view only" access for $3.99 via the DeepDyve platform and a range of access models via the nature.com iPhone app. The nature.com reader for iPad is expected to launch later this month.
Readex to Release African American Periodicals, 1825-1995<http://newsbreaks.infotoday.com/Digest/Readex-to-Release-African-American-Periodicals--73153.asp>
African American Periodicals, 1825-1995, will be released by Readex, a division of NewsBank, in spring 2011. This newest Archive of Americana collection will feature more than 170 periodicals by and about African Americans. Published in 26 states, the publications will include academic and political journals, commercial magazines, institutional newsletters, organizations' bulletins, annual reports, and other genres. Soon to be fully searchable, these diverse periodicals-which have shaped, and in turn, been shaped by, African American culture-will enable new discoveries on lives of African Americans as individuals, as an ethnic group and as Americans.
NewsLink Spotlight

Review of the Year 2010 and Trends Watch 2011<http://newsbreaks.infotoday.com/Spotlight/Review-of-the-Year--and-Trends-Watch--73100.asp>
by Paula J. Hane

The year 2010 saw the emergence of the iPad, the Android, and apps-lots and lots of apps. The market for mobile computing skyrocketed this year. And, information industry providers were quick to jump in with content delivery apps of all kinds. But I actually think it's a toss-up for top news of the year. While some say 2010 was the year of the app, there's also a very strong case that it could be considered the year of the ebook. And in our information industry, you could make a claim for it being the year of the platform relaunch (and I did, in my December 2010 NewsBreak Update column in Information Today,.
ITI Snap Poll

How concerned are you about companies tracking your behavior on the web?

Click here to vote!<http://www.infotoday.com/default.asp#polls>
ITI Blogs

If you regularly read blogs, add these to your reader:

The Conference Circuit - TheConferenceCircuit.com<http://www.TheConferenceCircuit.com/> - your source for information industry conferences around the globe.

ITI Conference Blog - libconf.com<http://www.libconf.com/> - covering all major ITI conferences worldwide.

Library Stuff - librarystuff.net<http://www.librarystuff.net/> - the library weblog dedicated to resources for keeping current and professional development, written by Steven M. Cohen.

EContent Blog - econtentblog.com<http://www.econtentblog.com> - Daily posts about the business of content--from tools to enhance content usability and findability to the leading content services, emerging digital publishing trends, and the strategies that help organizations make the most of their content investments.

ONLINE Insider - onlineinsider.net<http://www.onlineinsider.net/> - the editorial blog by Marydee Ojala, editor of ONLINE: Exploring Technology & Resources for Information Professionals. Presents commentary on happenings in the online world.

InfoToday Europe Blog - infotodayeurope.com<http://www.infotodayeurope.com> - The latest news, analysis and opinion on the information industry in Europe.

Business of Video blog - blog.streamingmedia.com<http://blog.streamingmedia.com/> - Daily posts about the online video industry, business trends and analysis, market data, and research as well as the online video business models in the media and entertainment, broadcast, publishing, advertising and enterprise industries.

SpeechTech Blog - speechtechblog.com<http://www.speechtechblog.com/> - updates on speech technology and its applications in daily life. Covers everything from ASR to VUI, with lots of links, threads, and even a few pictures thrown in for good measure.
ITI News

Buying & Selling eContent: Call for Speakers Deadline Today

Here's your chance to share your expertise at ITI's Buying and Selling eContent. This year's 2-day executive conference, which will be held March 28-29 (with a preconference session on March 27) at the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort & Spa in Scottsdale, Ariz., will highlight Multichannel Success Stories. In a time when content must be poised for action, creators and buyers alike need to collaborate on meeting the needs of end users as new channels, requirements, and opportunities arise.

Proposals to speak are now being accepted through the end of today. Click here for more information and to submit a proposal: www.buy-sell-econtent.com/2011/CallForSpeakers.shtml<http://iti.bz/nlbseccall>
(c) 2011 Information Today, Inc., all rights reserved.
This newsletter is published by Information Today, Inc.
Editor-in-Chief: Barbara Brynko
143 Old Marlton Pike
Medford, NJ 08055
Phone: (609) 654-6266 Fax: (609) 654-4309
Website: http://www.infotoday.com/NewsLink

You received this newsletter because you have opted in to receive news and information from Information Today. If you no longer wish to receive NewsLinks, please click here to unsubscribe:
http:[log in to unmask]

Problems with this message? Send an e-mail to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Please do not reply to this message,
as it was sent from an unattended mailbox.

[http://www.infotoday.com/images_nl/newsbreaks/footer.gif]