                                                            NLS Operations Alert
no. 11-01

DATE    :     January 7, 2011

TO          :     Network Libraries
FROM   :     Jane Caulton, Head, Publications and Media Section

Subject       :  NLS 80th anniversary

As many of you know, 2011 will mark the 80th anniversary of our free talking books and braille library service. We are planning celebratory events to generate excitement and awareness around the program at the national and local levels.
Four events will take place in select markets (TBA) across the country between January and February 2011, leading up to the official anniversary celebration in Washington, D.C., on March 2, 2011. The intended audiences for these events include patrons and caregivers, the general public and, of course, the media. While events will vary by market to reflect the unique personality of each local library and its patrons, possible elements may include:

            National NLS representatives

*              Public officials

*              Membership organization representatives

*              Panel of narrators giving a reading from a popular title

*              The author (possibly one such as Stephen King, who might have a personal connection to the program given his physical handicap) of that popular text talking about his or her work

*              Patrons with compelling stories from around the country

To keep the celebration going throughout the year, we are also encouraging all network libraries to host their own 80th anniversary events in their communities. To assist in this process, we will distribute event toolkits to all network libraries via the Network Library Services website in late February. These toolkits will include:

*              80th anniversary flyer for distribution to the general public, patrons, and caregivers

*              Event ideas/suggestions (e.g., narrator panel, author talk, reading)

*              Template press release for promoting the 80th anniversary to local media

*              Template media advisory for promoting your event to the local media

            Be on the lookout for more updates on the 80th anniversary in the coming weeks. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at [log in to unmask]

Happy holidays!

For more information contact:

Jane Caulton
Head, Publications and Media Section