It means that there was a pre-AACR2 heading that is not valid as an AACR2
heading.  Use Texas for all time periods.  So for the Department of State
of the republic:

Texas. $b Dept. of State

Now if you have a conflict between two corporate bodies with the same
name, add a qualifier to differentiate them, e.g. (I'm making these
examples up out of thin air)

Texas. Dept. of State (1836-1845)
Texas. Dept. of State (1936-1963)

See LCRI 24.6 for the instruction on why only one heading is used:

When a succession of jurisdictions would be entered under the same name,
use one heading for all, no matter what differences there are between the
jurisdictions.

151 ## $a North Carolina
not
151 ## $a North Carolina (Colony) and 151 ## $a North Carolina (State)

151 ## $a Texas
not
151 ## $a Texas (Republic) and 151 ## $a Texas (State)

151 ## $a Hawaii
not
151 ## $a Hawaii (Kingdom), 151 ## $a Hawaii (Republic), and 151 ## $a
Hawaii (State)

151 ## $a India
not
151 ## $a India (Dominion) and 151 ## $a India (Republic)

However, when the geographic qualifier added to a name to reflect its
current status is not appropriate for the earlier entity, use two headings
and qualify each.

151 ## $a Brabant (Belgium)
151 ## $a Brabant (Duchy)

151 ## $a Tuscany (Italy)
151 ## $a Tuscany (Grand Duchy)

151 ## $a Venice (Italy)
151 ## $a Venice (Republic)

151 ## $a Aragon (Spain)
151 ## $a Aragon (Kingdom)

There's even more in that LCRI, but I've quoted the most relevant part of
it.

Adam

Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger