From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gary Oliver
Sent: 25 January 2011 15:51
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] question

Mr. Franks,

I am wondering why LC changed an authority record I updated and created a new one for an entity that changed names.

The Thouvenel String Quartet (2010057591) was formed in 1975 by students at the University of Indiana.  Two years later the Quartet was hired by the Midland-Odessa Symphony and Chorale and over time came to be know as the Permian Basin String Quartet (86140826).

I updated the  authority record for the Thouvenel String Quartet to loook like this.

110 2  Permian Basin String Quartet
410 2  Thouvenel String Quartet ǂw nne
410 2  Thouvenel Quartet
410 2  Strings of the West
410 2  Midland-Odessa Symphony and Chorale. ǂb Permian Basin String Quartet 410 2  MOSC. ǂb Permian Basin String Quartet

LC removed the first two see references and recreated an authority record for Thouvenel String Quartet, I suppose due to the reference from Isthmus.  The article from Isthmus provided information on the formation of the Thouvenel String Quartet that conflicts with that from the Midland-Odessa Symphony and Chorale.  Nevertheless, I believe that what I did was correct.  Can you explain what LC did for me.  I spent a fair amount of time sorting this out, only to see my work deleted.

Thank you,

Gary Oliver
Abilene Christian University
325-674-2343