You are absolutely correct.  My bad!  I totally missed that.  So the answer, then, is to use such headings as this one and the Republic of Texas one for items that emanated during the time period in which they existed?
-Chris Fox

Mary Mastraccio <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Chris Fox wrote:
>>New York (Colony).  It has a 667 note which says:  “SUBJECT USAGE: This heading is not valid for use as a subject. Works about this place are entered under New York (State).”  The Subj use fixed field is coded b, which means that the heading is not authorized for use as a subject heading.  It would appear, then, at least in this specific case, that this authority record exists only to direct potential users of the heading to the correct one.  New York (Colony) is not an authorized heading.

You are correct that it is not valid for use as a subject but it is valid for use as a name (110, 710), see 008/14=a (fixed field Name use).

Mary L. Mastraccio, MLS
Cataloging & Authorities Librarian
MARCIVE, Inc.
San Antonio Texas 78265