Are people typically using the PREMIS Rights rightsExtension only for
"right to preserve" information, or for other kinds of rights beyond what
PREMIS Rights natively supports?  Specifically, we are looking for ways to
express constraints and requirements -- as opposed to affirmative rights--
based on contracts, statutes, etc. in a machine-friendly rather then
person-friendly way. Examples include the need to store content covered by
HIPAA or FERPA on a secured network; the duration, start/end, and basis for
an embargo; a requirement to prevent downloading or to limit the quality of
a dynamically generated deliverable.

Whether or not you are putting rights beyond the right to preserve in
PREMIS rightsExtension, what are you using to express them? I've been
looking at METSRights, ODRL and whatever form XRML is taking these days,
but would love to know what's considered most viable and forward-looking at
this point, and most consistent with preservation goals.

I realize this is drifting off-topic of PREMIS per se, so please email me
privately. I can summarize for the list if there is interest.

Thank you for any feedback on this!
--Robin

Robin Wendler
Harvard University Library