Tom,

Thanks so much for your help.

Rod

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Tom Fine
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 1:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] static electricity noise during playback of open
reen tapes

Hi Rod:

This is an age-old problem, and some cartridges pop louder than others when they discharge built-up
static. The best solution is find a cool place with 50% or higher humidity and play your records
there, but in the real world, there are some devices. I've had good luck more often than not with
the ZeroStat gun, but it doesn't always work and you gotta use it right, exactly per instructions.
The LP brush with the groundwire attached seems like it might discharge some static, that one's sold
by Acoustic Sounds. Sometimes, a quick dunk in reverse-osmosis or distilled water in a metal sink,
followed by pat-drying rather than vigorous static-generating drying, will help. I'm not sure if
cold water is better than luke-warm or if warm is better, I just use room-temperature water -- I
find this works on thin Euro-vinyl records that won't get de-static'd any other way. The theory with
this is the same as how you discharge static into water when you wash your hands (assuming copper
pipes and proper grounding). The sink, metal, is a big discharger via the pipes, to ground. Emersion
discharges the entire record surface at the same time. Gentle drying avoids further static buildup
(for the time being). Don't wear static-prone clothing like a polyester fleece while you do this,
and I'd say shuffling slippered feet on carpets might transfer a bunch of static right back onto the
vinyl. You could also run a humidifier in the room where you play records, but I find these don't
compete at all with winter dryness, even when the heat is kept low in the studio area. I also spray
Scotch anti-static-cling stuff on my chair, clothes and carpet around the phono before I play
records in the winter.

One man's tips, experiences, etc. None of this is preferable to a more-humid environment, that will
lick static problems quicker than anything.

-- Tom Fine