On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 15:23:23 -0500, Ray Denenberg wrote
> Representation of season was recently brought up again. In this case the
question is whether hemisphere needs to be represented, see below.

> My understanding is that the use case presented to us is satisfied, by
using 21, 22, 23, 24 in place of month, to represent season.   While not a
complete solution it seems to meet the concrete needs that were presented,
even if it leaves unsolved some issues regarding sorting, when a season
starts, etc.

>  There were other, less specific "potential" use cases presented, which
could be satisfied by appending a qualifier to the season.
> So
>     '2001-21' means "Spring, 2001"
> and
>      '2001-21q<xxx>' "Spring, 2001 qualified"  where <xxx> is the
qualifier.
> The qualifier could be a geographic location, but unless someone takes the
initiative to try to develop this qualifier, it's specification won't be
included in the spec.

Should geographic location be needed I think the easiest is
- lat./Lon. (point)
- N,E,W,S in Lat./Lon. (bounding box)
- ITU "country" designator (politcal).

There are, I think, some problems using ISO 3166 alpha-2 or alpha-3 with
seasons that I suspect are not present in the ITU model.. Adélie Land, for
example. is claimed by France but its location is in the Antartic.. ITU sets
the code ADL..

P.S.: I do not need any of this but present this suggestion as a solution
should location be desired.

> This is where we ended up with this discussion, and as far as I knew
everyone was satisfied.  Unless someone has a use case that this doesn't
satisfy, I don't see a need to re-open discussion on this.

--

Edward C. Zimmermann, NONMONOTONIC LAB
http://www.nonmonotonic.net