My first thought is that step #1 is developing a formal statement of
the spec, probably in Jenni Tennison's "datatype library language" or
in DSDL Extensible Datatypes (ISO 19757-5).

I've never actually used either of these languages myself, but they
are explicitly intended for describing datatypes.