Once again I ask for an explanation of the requirement.

I have two areas of confusion.

First, the recent examples include, for example, "3rd Monday in Feb. 2011".
Is this a real example?  The third Monday in February of 2011 is a real date
and can be represented as "2011-02-21".   I had thought that you wanted to
represent "third Monday in February", independent of year, in order to
represent a pattern, as in this case a particular US holiday, i.e. George
Washington's Birthday, falls each year on the third Monday in February.

Second (as Bruce has already asked) assuming you want to represrent "third
Monday in February" why can't it be represented as the human readable string
'third Monday in February', or '3rd Mon. in Feb'; i.e. why does it need to
be normalized for computer readability?  Can you provide a use case where
machine readability is necessary?

Ray