Dear Academic Librarian:

We are writing to request your participation in a study of academic
librarians holding PhD degrees.

ABOUT THIS RESEARCH

====================

We are conducting a qualitative study to understand how the competencies and
interests developed in a doctoral education contribute to academic
librarianship, and how they are supported or inhibited by academic
libraries.  The results will help respond to the challenge of identifying
novel ways to enhance the research and teaching support at academic
libraries.  More details at https://sites.google.com/site/phdlibrarians/

YOU ARE ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IF YOU ARE:

(1) currently employed as an academic librarian,

(2) hold an ALA-accredited Master's degree in Library and Information
Studies, AND

(3) have completed a PhD research degree (or equivalent research degree) in
any field.

If you know someone who meets these characteristics, please forward this
message on.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN IN THIS STUDY?

===============================

You will complete a qualitative survey.  This means that you will write
doctoral education in academic librarianship and how academic libraries
leverage your doctoral competencies and interests.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIPATE

===============================

This is great.  Please visit the online survey at:

http://qtrial.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_0AKdGGF43y2b1is

PARTICIPANT RIGHTS

===================

There is no obligation to participate in this study.  If you agree to
participate, your privacy will be protected at all times.  There are no
anticipated risks or discomfort involved, and you may decide to end your
participation at any time.  We have a consent form that explains your
involvement, our research, and our responsibilities in protecting your
privacy.

This study has been approved by the Institutional Review Board at Wake
Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, for compliance with
ethical principles and regulatory requirements (#IRB00015580).  If you have
questions about this, you may contact the Office of Research & Sponsored
Programs at 336-758-5888.

Thank you for your consideration.  If you have any questions about our study
please contact any member of our research team.

Sincerely,

Jeffery Loo, MLIS MSc PhD

Librarian, University of California, Berkeley

Erik Mitchell, MLIS PhD

Librarian, Wake Forest University

Susan Rathbun-Grubb, MAT MSLS PhD

Assistant Professor, School of Library and Information Science, University
of South Carolina