From: Metadata Object Description Schema List [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jakob Voss [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 04:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MODS] Broken examples in MADS/RDF Documentation

Hi,

A closer look at the MADS/RDF Documentation at

http://www.loc.gov/standards/mads/rdf/ showed

that the examples in the text are difficult to read and in most cases
broken (no valid RDF/XML). Could you please replace the example with
valid RDF/Turtle? Turtle is much better to read while RDF/XML is not
suitable for human contemplation. The examples seem to have been created
by hand, which is a Sisyphean task for RDF/XML.

I tried to fix the examples (with help of the great 'rapper' tool). I
also replaced the example-URIs with a 'http://example.org/' prefix,
because this is best practice for example URI/URLs.

Before the examples you should but a paragraph that shows the prefix
definitions, that I omitted from the examples below:

----
@prefix rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
@prefix madsrdf: <http://id.loc.gov/ontologies/mads/2010/11#> .
----

Moreover I'd recommend to write the documentation in clean HTML the W3C
recommendation style, as described at

http://www.w3.org/2001/06/manual/

Thanks!
Jakob

----

<http://United_States--History--Civil_War,_1861-1865>
     madsrdf:authoritativeLabel "United States--History--Civil War,
1861-1865" ;
     madsrdf:componentList (<http://example.org/United_States>
         [
             a madsrdf:Topic ;
             rdf:rabout "http://example.org/History"
         ]
         <http://example.org/Civil_War,_1861-1865>
     ) ;
     a madsrdf:Authority, madsrdf:ComplexSubject .

<http://example.org/Civil_War,_1861-1865>
     a madsrdf:Temporal .

<http://example.org/United_States>
     a madsrdf:Geographic .

----

<http://example.org/United_States--New_Jersey--Essex--Montclair>
     a madsrdf:Authority, madsrdf:HierarchicalGeographic ;
     madsrdf:authoritativeLabel "United States--New
Jersey--Essex--Montclair" ;

     madsrdf:componentList (
         <http://example.org/United_State>
         <http://example.org/New_Jersey>
         <http://example.org/Essex>
         <http://example.org/Montclair>
     ) .

<http://example.org/United_State>
     a madsrdf:Country .

<http://example.org/New_Jersey>
     a madsrdf:State .

<http://example.org/Essex>
     a madsrdf:County .

<http://example.org/Montclair>
     a madsrdf:City .

----

<http://example.org/Hello-Dolly!>
     a madsrdf:Authority, madsrdf:Title ;
     madsrdf:authoritativeLabel "Hello, Dolly!" ;
     madsrdf:elementList ([
             madsrdf:elementValue "Hello, Dolly!" ;
             a madsrdf:TitleElement
         ]
     ) .

<http://example.org/Herman,_Jerry,_1933-_Hello,_Dolly!>
     a madsrdf:Authority, madsrdf:NameTitle ;
     madsrdf:authoritativeLabel "Herman, Jerry, 1933- Hello, Dolly!" ;
     madsrdf:componentList (<http://example.org/Herman-Jerry-1933->
         <http://example.org/Hello-Dolly!>
     ) .

<http://example.org/Herman-Jerry-1933->
     a madsrdf:Authority, madsrdf:PersonalName ;
     madsrdf:authoritativeLabel "Herman, Jerry, 1933-" ;
     madsrdf:elementList ([
             madsrdf:elementValue "Herman, Jerry," ;
             a madsrdf:FullNameElement
             madsrdf:elementValue "1933-" ;
             a madsrdf:DateNameElement
         ]
     ) .

----

----

--
Jakob Vo▀ <[log in to unmask]>, skype: nichtich
Platz der Goettinger Sieben 1, 37073 G÷ttingen, Germany