Didn't find anything on auf files, but here's a link to info on their
aup files.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/manual-1.2/fileformats.html#aup

Here's the owners manual for Audacity 1.2
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/manual-1.2/

If 1.2 is not your version you can probably find more by Googling.
Hope this helps.
Malcolm

*******