> I think if you delete these, you are deleting your audio.
>
> I do not think Audacity is a native WAV editor like say
> Samplitude, Sequoia, Goldwave, Wavelab, etc.

>> We use Audacity to convert our reel to reel tapes into
>> digital files. We recently noticed that there are a bunch
>> of extra >>files that end in .auf  They are all about
>> 1000 KB and have a name along the lines of b02720.  There
>> are TONS of >>these files. We are wondering what they are
>> and if it is safe to delete them or not?

Yes, Audacity stores its data as Project files, which are
not compatible with any other program.
To make these files into WAV files, you need to open each
project and choose the "Export as WAV" command (there are
options for mp3 and OGG Vorbis as well).
Unfortunately, there is no batch function for this.
I have no idea why Audacity has this quirky, incompatible
way of doing things, but that's they way they do it.

-Matt Sohn