From: "Roderic G Stephens" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 10:08 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Mercury Madness

Hello All,
This is something that Tom should be able to address. It is a really a tribute to Tom's mom and
dad's historic recordings, but this resurgence of recognition and value truly shows that they did
something special. I've found that Amazon is offering excellent re-masterings of the Mercury Living
Presence series including some even in SACD, although those are, of course, 3-track. The prices are
in the $6-12 range depending if used or new. My first question is, who is doing the re-mastering,
and Tom, are you involved? The personal reviews on Amazon are mostly all five stars by those who
have purchased them. My second query has to do with the original two track reel to reel tapes that
are currently being sold on eBay. Can you believe that today, the Antal Dorati recording of Brahm's
Variations on a Theme of Haydn, MVS5-25 sold for $202.50?!! Not only does the CD remaster have that
tune, but it also includes the Enesco: Romanian Rhapsody No.
 2. In addition, tape MDS5-3, Bizet: Carmen Suite and L'Arlesienne Suite No. 1 sold for $305! So,
what is the reason for this madness? Pondering, Rod Stephens