On 3/31/2011 3:35 PM, Tom Fine wrote:
> I did not realize they were marketed as separate entities. Did they
> move through the same retail channels? What about after Columbia and
> Philips ended their alliance?
>
> -- Tom Fine

This really was the way they utilized Epic after they lost access to the
Philips recordings.  Epic was a completely separate label but was
subtitled "A product of CBS".  A full page ad in the 1957 Schwann Artist
Issue (published in Dec 56) shows Szell and the Cleveland as one of the
"Great Artists now recording exclusively for Epic."  The catalog lists 4
Epic releases among 13 Columbia releases, so the changeover had been
recent.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]

From: "Michael Biel" <[log in to unmask]>