Hi Jan..
when it comes to  roll-offs  on a graphic equalizer my highest frequency is 16khz, i know there is nothing there but noise on older 78s so i cut it the max -15 db.
Next is 12.5khz, again nothing but noise so that gets cut max, followed by the 10khz...
8khz could contain some modulation  but not likely enough to  keep the surface noise along with it so i roll it off 12db.
Most real musical content becomes apparent with the next band 6.3khz. at this frequency i will roll off  to -9 db and gradual slope till im flat at  1khz..... this is where your ear plays more of a roll than  any technical  graph.
i may stay flat  out to 3-4 khz  depending on the content and a sharper roll off  depending on the noise level. there are times when i might even do a slight  boost  between 800hz and  2.5khz  knowing ill loose of it if im going to do any digital noise reduction if this enhances the final musical content.
Something as small as 3 db change can make a lot of difference.
dnelson