Saašha wrote:

>> we do not yet have a formal BNF,
> I think it would be really nice to think about creating a BNF soon.
> It would help to find out possible syntax inconsistencies. It would
> also help to implement validation and / or extraction regexes.
> Things would become more clear. I like regexes :-)

This is not a "nice to have" but a fundamental requirement to
specify the format. Sure BNF is not the only method to define
a formal language, you can also add some textual constraints
like done for instance at the specification of XML. But defining
a formal language without specifying any formal grammar is
ridiculous. Unless there is an official BNF grammar as part of
the extended datettime standard, I'd not call it a "standard" at all.

Jakob

--
Verbundzentrale des GBV (VZG)
Digitale Bibliothek - Jakob Voß