I assigned minute and second zero through 60, not for any "leap" considerations, but because 60 minutes and 60 seconds are supported by xs:dateTime. And the reason for that apparently is that it is supported by ISO 8601. We had discussion about this a while ago; it was suggested that ISO made a bad choice in allowing these values and that we should profile them out. But while profiling out features in 8601 is appropriate, I don't think profiling out features in W3C schema is a good idea.
--Ray