-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion of the Developing Date/Time Standards
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ray Denenberg, Library
of Congress
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2011 11:41
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Requirements // Ordinal and Week dates

Once again I ask for an explanation of the requirement.

I have two areas of confusion.

First, the recent examples include, for example, "3rd Monday in Feb.
2011".
Is this a real example?  The third Monday in February of 2011 is a real
date
and can be represented as "2011-02-21".   I had thought that you wanted
represent "third Monday in February", independent of year, in order to
represent a pattern, as in this case a particular US holiday, i.e.
George
Washington's Birthday, falls each year on the third Monday in February.

Second (as Bruce has already asked) assuming you want to represrent
"third
Monday in February" why can't it be represented as the human readable
string
'third Monday in February', or '3rd Mon. in Feb'; i.e. why does it need
be normalized for computer readability?  Can you provide a use case
where
machine readability is necessary?

Ray