From: Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata education & training [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Allyson Carlyle
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2011 8:19 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [eduCAT] Print copies of professional tools--Preservation?

As a person interested in history, I do hope that more than one library is keeping copies of professional cataloging tools. I am remembering someone saying that to insure preservation of a complete run of a serial, 13 libraries (or was that 8? 7?  So much for my memory!) needed to retain a copy.

If the libraries that have LIS programs don't keep these, then I don't know who will. I'm sure LC keeps them, but there should not been only a single library doing this.

In my opinion, they will be of historical interest to a wide range of scholars. Currently one of our faculty members is studying how classifications change over time. He has looked at the topic of "eugenics" across the life of the DDC. This kind of study is not just important for faculty in LIS, but also important for historians, researchers in cultural, popular and media history, gender studies, women's studies - I could go on!

My vote? Save.

Regarding Cataloger's Desktop, that I don't know. I hope they are retaining archival copies.