The xml.xsd question is more easily answered. Several years ago we were
forced to find a way to reduce the number of MODS accesses to the W3C
server. The reason was that W3C was complaining (loudly) about excessive
accesses and threatening to block certain clients. Someone was not properly
caching xml.xsd and was in addition validating an inordinate number of MODS
records.  This happened a number of times, we were unsuccessful at tracking
down the culprit, and as a quick fix changed the reference to LC rather than
W3C, and the problem has not resurfaced.

Xlink is more complicated, although you could use the same justification,
even if there weren't additional complications. In the Xlink case, the W3C
version simply didn't meet MODS requirements.  I can't recall exactly why,
I'm tracking that down, and I'll get back to you (but I wanted to respond
quickly to the question).

--Ray