If you have 3500 digital objects that belong to a collection, the collection
itself should be a digital object, correct?  Does the Gerrit Smith
collection have a unique identifier in your repository?  I would think that
your repository software would enable one to query all child objects from a
master collection object.  Fedora has REST APIs that enable this
interaction.  If the Gerrit Smith collection has a unique identifier, you
could use it as the id for the c02 or place it into altformavail, perhaps.
There are probably a few ways to go about it, but this would remove the need
for placing URLs and query strings directly into your finding aid.  Software
structure changes over time.  Certain APIs become deprecated (potentially
making your query string nonfunctional), but unique identifiers in an
institutional repository are intended to last for all time.

Ethan