Mark's last email has prompted something that I've been meaning to ask this
list for a while. What are the practical benefits of migrating to schema
based EAD from DTD? I know that XML-wise, DTD is the older style and schema
is the new, so that schema is the preferred new format. But, I don't think
DTD support is going away anytime soon. Are people just trying to achieve
the gold standard, or am I missing some other practical benefit. Is a schema
easier to work with?

Also, if someone wants to migrate from DTD to schema, are there any guides
or other resources available? The EAD Tools & Helper Files page <
http://www.archivists.org/saagroups/ead/tools.html> doesn't have anything.
I'm assuming the EAD XML files will need more updating other than the DTD
declaration, but maybe it's as easy as that...

Thanks!

Nathan Tallman
Associate Archivist
American Jewish Archives