We converted our finding aids to use a schema about a year ago at
Northwestern University Library. We're using a local schema, but it just has
some very minor changes to the schema that LC maintains. Here's a list of
the changes we found we had to make to accommodate the schema instead of a
DTD. Most of these changes can be done with search-and-replace, but I've
noted a few places where you'll need to be a bit careful with it.  There may
be more changes than these, but this should help.

Changes from using a DTD to using an XSD:

1. Replace the DOCTYPE statement with the XSD namespace declaration.

2. Remove the <ead> element, as it appears in the declaration above and is
redundant.

3. Replace the attribute value

countrycode="us"

with

countrycode="US"

4. Replace the mainagency attribute (you already know about this one - it
gave me fits, too).

5. The following attributes in the <extpr> or <dao> elements must have the
"xlink:" prepended to them:

		 actuate
		 arcrole
		 from
		 href  [make sure to use search & replace on "href=" because
otherwise a valid
			<archref@href> may be broken]
		 label
		 linktype [this becomes xlink:type, not xlink:linktype, so
it's not as easy as just adding the prefix]
		 show
		 title
		 type

like this:

	xlink:actuate

etc.

6. Also for <extptr> and <dao>, the attribute value "onrequest" for @actuate
must be changed to "onRequest"; similarly "onload" must change to "onLoad".

7. The subject attribute is no longer available in the <title> element.

8. Normal attributes in date fields can no longer be 6 digits - they must be
of one of these formats:

	yyyymmdd

	yyyy
	yyyymmdd/yyyymmdd
	yyyy/yyyy

The "day" portion cannot be "00". I.e., 20090200 is not valid but 20090201
is.
[possible logic: if a date is four digits, add 00 to the end. If the date is
4digits/4digits, add 00 to the end of the first four, 28, 30 or 31 to the
second four depending on month. Or just add 30.]

Karen D. Miller
Monographic/Digital Projects Cataloger
Bibliographic Services Dept.
Northwestern University Library