What metadata are you planning to record?  You can use Music Encoding Initiative (http://music-encoding.org/) to record the music notation in addition to metadata about the work itself.  The University of Virginia Library is undertaking a project to describe a sizeable collection of 18th century European printed music in EAD (not unlike a manuscript collection).  MEI may be applied to encode music notation for these works in the future.

Ethan Gruber
American Numismatic Society