I think schema is more of a pain to work with.

The main difference is the namespaces.  EAD DTD is not in any xmlns namesapce; EAD schema uses two different namespaces (the EAD isbn: uri is the xmlns for EAD, and it uses xlink in the xlink xmlns.  The case is different on some of the xlink linking attribute values where they use camel case in schema and all lowercase in DTD.

Then there are minor differences where schema is more restrictive than the DTD like Mark observed yesterday.

At OAC we accept schema based EAD, but we convert to EAD 2002 DTD internally.