From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nathan Tallman
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 1:51 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: EAD File Management

Happy Friday List Members!

How are people organizing their EAD and related files in their web directories? I've seen sites that organize by file format (all images in one folder, etc.); but, I've also seen it where there's one directory per finding aid, and whatever related files (head shot image for the bio, related PDFs or other digitized content, etc.) are stored in that directory, along with the EAD XML file. What are the pros and cons of each method?

I know this will be affected by whether or not your institution uses some sort of EAD database or a repository. Sometime this year (hopefully) we'll be putting up more EAD finding aids and eventually I'd like to move to an XTF or homegrown platform XSLT/PHP. (Although I'm keeping a close eye on UA's Acumen too.)

I'm just trying to get a sense of how other institutions are handling it. So, what are your best practices?

Many thanks!

Nathan Tallman
American Jewish Archives