From: Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata education & training on behalf of Buzz Haughton
Sent: Tue 4/26/2011 6:37 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [eduCAT] like having 20 people in revision at the same time

All:

I'm teaching a basic cataloging and classification class online for Drexel
University's iSchool. I'm still trying to sort out the complexities of
teaching in an asynchronous environment, but the biggest challenge now is
how to respond to students who say "Why should we be expected to learn AACR2
rules, since they're about to be overturned by RDA?" This is not an easy
question to answer! I tell them that, for the time being, our three national
libraries have decreed that AACR2 is the law of the land, and that's what we
must abide by. Drexel has decided that we won't subscribe to RDA until and
unless it has been adopted as the national standard, and so the links to RDA
in Cataloger's Desktop are not accessible. :-\

Buzz Haughton
1861 Pebblewood Dr
Sacramento CA 95833 USA
(916) 468-9027