Hi Everyone -

Please join us for the next in our regular monthly series of free Department of the Interior Library Park Ranger Speaker Series lectures, entitled "The Union in Crisis: Part II," on Tuesday, April 19th from 1:00 - 1:45 pm in the Department of the Interior Library.

In the final program of a two part series commemorating the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War, Park Ranger Eric Pominville covers the first two months of President Abraham Lincoln’s Presidency. With seven southern states having already seceded from the Union, no American president has faced a more difficult crisis from day one. Was Lincoln a great president from his first day on the job or did he grow into the role? Resuming with Mr. Lincoln’s inauguration, the topics to be covered include the appointment of Lincoln’s cabinet, the defection of a key Southern gentleman from the U.S. military, the administration’s policy toward Federal property in the South, the attack on Fort Sumter, Lincoln’s call for troops, the attack in Baltimore on the 6th Massachusetts Regiment, Maryland’s attempt to secede from the Union, and the defenseless condition of Washington City in the spring of 1861.

All that are interested are invited.  The DOI Library is located in the Main Interior Building, located at 1849 C Street, NW, Room 1151 in Washington.  Space is limited so please contact the Library by phone at (202) 208-5815 or by e-mail at [log in to unmask] to let us know you will be coming.    For more information about future DOI Library Park Ranger Speaker Series programs, we encourage you to visit our Park Ranger Speaker Series website at http://library.doi.gov/programs/speaker/index.html  .

We hope to see you on April 19th!

George Franchois
Director
U.S. Dept. of the Interior Library