Please excuse the cross postings.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: VIC MONTI <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 1:38 PM
Subject: [sla-cdc] Way Cool Library Event – April 14
To: Washington DC Chapter <[log in to unmask]>

Post Nearly a Shutdown Event - International Relations Committee - this
Thursday!

The resurgence of Democracy in Egypt and the associated revolution and
spreading of democratic freedom movements in the world is well represented
in the upcoming International Special Librarians Day event this Thursday,
April 14 from 6-8 PM.

Listen to Dr. Sohair Wastawy, currently dean of University Libraries at
Illinois State University, but formerly with the modern Bibliotheca
Alexandrina or Library of Alexandria in Egypt.  Dr Wastawy was a key
contributor to the rise of librarianship in Egypt and to worldwide
recognition of the Library of Alexandria.

Allen Overland is the Director of the National Endowment for Democracy’s
Resource Center.  This key global organization promotes democracy worldwide.
And Allen will discuss how he turned a small investment from the UN into a
Digital Library on Democracy.

As a bonus, we are please to have with us, Edna Reid, currently an
Intelligence Analyst with the FBI (shhh!).  She has been a major contributor
to librarianship in Asia where she was a founding staff member of the
Division of Information Studies at Nanyang Technological University and a
member of the National Library Board of Singapore.  Her presentation shares
her international experiences and how she has blended her library skills to
her present work.

Please join us with some networking at 6 PM and then in discussions with 3
brilliant librarians at the Georgetown University Law Library, which is near
the Union Station stop on Metrorail.

Please use the link below for further details and registration (and
payment).

Join the International Relations Committee (IRC) and other interested
> chapter members at the Georgetown University Law Library, Room 320, 111 G
> Street, Northwest, DC.  April 14, 2011, 6-8 PM.
>
> <http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ISLD2011>
> http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ISLD2011
>

> Fees are $15 for most members ($10 for student and unemployed members) and
> $20 for non-members.  The fees include drinks and appetizers.  Please
> register via the link below.
>
> <http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ISLD2011>
> http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ISLD2011

I look forward to seeing you this Thursday.  Victor Monti, DC Chapter SLA,
Board Member

Disclaimer:  This message was prepared in a facility that also processes
nuts and wheat.  Introductory APR is only good for uniquely qualified buyers
like Warren Buffet.  Your call is important to us that’s why we put it on
hold.  No animals were hurt in the production of this announcement.  Names
in this message are actually real. And not fictitious.  Really!

---

You are currently subscribed to sla-cdc as: [log in to unmask]

To unsubscribe click here:
http://sla.lyris.net/u?id=72589.b6dda5aa946dbec010afa93f761f35b9&n=T&l=sla-cdc&o=16965456

or send a blank email to

Christopher M. Vestal
DC/SLA 2011 Communications Secretary
Phone: (540) 227-0718
"Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first." --Ernestine Ulmer