From: ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Francois Demay
Sent: Montag, 18. April 2011 21:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: 639-1

In a way IT IS stabilized.

see below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_639-1

New ISO 639-1 codes are not added if an ISO 639-2 code exists, so systems that use ISO 639-1 and 639-2 codes, with 639-1 codes preferred, do not have to change existing codes.[1]

If an ISO 639-2 code that covers a group of languages is used, it might be overridden for some specific languages by a new ISO 639-1 code.

ISO 639-1 codes added after RFC publication in January 2001

ISO 639-1

ISO 639-2

Name

Date added

Previously covered by

io

ido

Ido

2002-01-15

art

wa

wln

Wallon

2002-01-29

roa

li

lim

Limburgish

2002-08-02

gem

ii

iii

Sichuan Yi

2002-10-14

sit

an

arg

Aragonese

2002-12-23

roa

ht

hat

Haitian Creole

2003-02-26

cpf

I am not sure this was the best way to solve the problem...

In ISO 3166-1 each country or dependent entity has BOTH an alpha-2 and an alpha-3 code point.
In some cases it can be useful to use one and some cases to use the other one.

It seems (from the request that originated this discussion) that it may be the same for official (or administrative) languages of indenpendant countries.

If in ISO 639 things are frozen until the end of the world then...we'll have to wait for a long time !

Best regards

FD