Hi Jane,

I was pondering this issue a while a go but never reached a firm conclusion.  My thoughts were more inclined towards <phystech> and perhaps nesting <phystech> elements as the situation requires it.

e.g.

<phystech encodinganalog="isadg(2)344">
<head>Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements</head>
</phystech>

Note that the values of @type here are simply drawn from my head rather than any standardised list (is there one?)

Regards

Grant

---------------------------------
Grant E. L. Buttars,
Deputy University Archivist,
Special Collections,
Centre for Research Collections,
Edinburgh University Library,
Information Services,
University of Edinburgh,
George Square,
Edinburgh,
EH8 9LJ.
http://www.ed.ac.uk/is/crc/
tel: 0131 651 3852

Coming to consult something?  Please see http://www.ed.ac.uk/is/crc/ for service information

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.