Saašha, I do think the three-level suggestion has merit and is worth considering further.

 The spec could be represented as:
Level 0: a profile of 8601
Level 1: first-level extensions
Level 2: second level extensions

And to claim conformance, you must at least support level 1 (support for level 2 includes support for level 1).

Level 0 would be the 100 and 200 features.

For level 1, I suggest:
- uncertain/approximate excluding internal.
- intervals, excluding those with uncertain/approximate and temporal expressions, but including open and unknown.
- masking with "u"

Level 2:
- Lists (one of a set, all of a set)
- internal uncertain/approximate
- temporal expressions
- calendar
- long year
- season
- masking with "x"

Please comment. I will hold off on further BNF changes pending some agreement on this.

--Ray