Hi,

I would also suggest some kind of persistent identifier, and especially persistent URIs.
Sure it would be more complicated and longer in order to start using them, but the benefits would be good (as Ethan said, in a perfect web world).
Then, you would be sure all your records or digital objects (or any links) are linked using a persistent identifier, therefore never (or almost) having a broken link.
Brian explained the purpose quite nicely (with the handle system), but I would rather suggest using the full URI as your persistent identifier instead of the ID part itself, if not you (or your third party) would again end up needing a stylesheet or some kind of concatenation at one point or another for getting correct links.

So basically, if you are in a hurry, use a stylesheet for your third party distribution (to get your absolute links out of relative ones, easy if you have one server, a bit harder if you're using different domain names).
If you are not, think about this PID thing.
Actually even if you are doing it the transformation way (with stylesheet or not), take some time checking PIDs, it might become very handy for you, now or later, could be a nice investment.

Yoann