Thanks everyone for the great feedback.

I'm hesitant to use handles/URIs because on other tech lists, I've seen discussion against using them (various problems with them not being updated, server downtime, lag time, etc.). The trend (on the tech lists) seems to be "establish stable URLs and commit to making them non-changeable." Well, that's a good goal, but I'm not sure how practical it always is in the long term... I don't intend to start a flame war here, just passing on observations.

It seems that stylesheets and/or xml base will accomplish what I need, so I think I'm going to experiment there.

Thanks again,
Nathan