All,

Apologies for cross-posting...

The Subject Analysis Committee (ALCTS Cataloging and Classification
Section) will be very active at ALA Annual in New Orleans. I hope you
can join us for some of our meetings and activities.

AGENDA OVERVIEW: SAC will be meeting three times during the conference.

On Sunday, June 26, 2011 from 8 am – 11 am  in the Hilton (HIL-Grand
Salon C), we will have reports from the Sears List of Subject
Headings, LC's Policy and Standards Division (PSD), the Dewey Decimal
Classification (DDC), the Music Library Association (MLA), American
Association of Law Libraries (AALL), and the Art Libraries Society
(ALS).

On Monday, June 27, 2011 from 10:30 am – 12:00 pm (HIL-Grand Salon C),
SAC and the Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA)
will hold a joint meeting to discuss the place of subject in the FRBR
family of standards and how the JSC will begin to address the need for
subject entities and relationships in RDA. (See more details below.)

On Monday, June 27, 2011 from 1:30 pm – 5:30 pm (HIL-Grand Salon C),
SAC will have reports from MARBI, the SAC Subcommittee on Genre/Form
Implementation, OLAC/CAPC Moving Image LC Genre/Form Heading Best
Practices Task Force, OCLC's FAST project, IFLA, and SACO. In
addition, we'll have a presentation by Joan Mitchell on the newly
published DDC 23. (See more details below.)

Once again, SAC will be holding "green" meetings, in other words, we
will not provide copies of the handouts and reports to distribute at
the SAC business meetings. Most of the reports will be in ALA Connect
before the conference (some will be posted after). The URL for the SAC
ALA Connect space is http://connect.ala.org/node/64185. It is
available to committee members and visitors alike.

HIGHLIGHTS:

1) Monday Speaker Series: We are pleased to announce that Joan
Mitchell, Editor-in-Chief of the Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC)
system at OCLC, will provide us with an introduction to the newly
published 23rd edition of the DDC! Learn about some of the changes
that have occurred in the new edition, including:
	• Major changes across DDC 23
	• Selected major updates and selected new numbers
	• The role of the worldwide community of Dewey users
	• How to learn more about DDC 23

2) Genre/Form Preconference: The SAC-sponsored genre/form
preconference, "What is it, anyway?", will take place on Friday, June
24, 2011 from 8:30 am to 4pm at the Convention Center, Room 263. This
preconference will introduce participants to Library of Congress Genre/
Form Terms for Library and Archival Materials (LCGFT). It will focus
on the correct application of LC genre/form terms to works, with an
emphasis on the differences between genre/form terms and subject
headings. Participants will also be briefed on the principles
underlying the genre/form projects being undertaken by LC’s Policy and
Standards Division, and plans for further development of the
thesaurus. Speakers: Janis Young, Yael Mandelstam, and Beth Iseminger.
There's still a little room left, so register today!

3) Joint Meeting with CC:DA: SAC will have a special, joint-meeting
with CC:DA (Monday from 10:30 am to noon in the Hilton Grand Salon C)
to discuss the place of subject in the FRBR family of standards and
how the JSC will begin to address the need for subject entities and
relationships in RDA. There will be a presentation by Gordon Dunsire,
co-sponsored by ALA, Cataloging & Classification Quarterly, and
MARCIVE, Inc., to address "Treatment of subject in each model,
reconciliation in the Registry, and considerations for future
consolidation of the FR models." There will also be a discussion of
the "LC Discussion paper on Group 3 entity chapters in RDA".

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Thanks,
Danny

Daniel N. Joudrey, PhD
Assistant Professor