This statement below in the Report is a key statement for the future of RDA.
I am not sure why to make such a statement and then proceed toward
implementing RDA if it does not make economic sense.

It is especially alarming coming from representatives of federally funded
libraries in the present fiscal climate that Washington, DC is in.

It is ironic that libraries, which desperately have tried to position
themselves as business (corporate) enterprises would disregard basic
business approach. The fact is that there is no business justification for
RDA in light of this statement except wishful thinking that the future will
rain business benefits on libraries. However, if we look in the past
business practices of libraries it becomes apparent that we gave away our
basic business product that is cataloging (bibliographical) record
(information) to business predators such as Google basically for nothing in
return. Now, we are going to repeat the same failed model with book vendors,
information providers and so on.

I would like again to remind our federally funded institutions that
the US national debt has reached $15 trillion, our present annual budget
debt has reached $1.6 trillion. How our national libraries expect to avoid
cost cutting measures that will eventually be applied to them.
Libraries across the nation are struggling with basic financial needs with
reports of numerous libraries being closed down for lack of funds to pay for
their basic functions.

The decision of the executives of three national libraries remind me of the
Department of Defense desperate attempts to continue some weapon development
programs from the cutting board despite ballooning costs, no completion date
in sight, and questionable utilization of the weapons in the present mission
of the military.

We can apply the same criteria to RDA as well.

"Business caseó  [on page 4]
The test revealed that there is little discernible immediate benefit in
implementing RDA alone. The adoption of RDA will not result in significant
cost savings in metadata creation. There will be inevitable and significant
costs in training. Immediate economic benefit, however, cannot be the sole
determining factor in the RDA business case. It must be determined if there
are significant future enhancements to the metadata environment made
possible by RDA and if those benefits, long term, outweigh implementation
costs. The recommendations are framed to make this determination prior to
implementation."

--
Wojciech Siemaszkiewicz
New York Public Library