This statement below in the Report is a key statement for the future of RDA. I am not sure why to make such a statement and then proceed toward implementing RDA if it does not make economic sense.†

It is especially alarming coming from†representatives†of federally funded libraries in the present fiscal climate that†Washington,†DC†is in.†

It is ironic that libraries, which desperately have tried to position themselves as business (corporate) enterprises would disregard basic business approach. The fact is that there is no business justification for RDA in light of this statement except wishful thinking that the future will rain business benefits on libraries. However, if we look in the past business practices of libraries it becomes apparent that we gave away our basic business product that is cataloging (bibliographical) record (information) to business†predators†such as Google†basically for nothing in return. Now, we are going to repeat the same failed model with book vendors, information providers and so on.†

I would like again to remind our federally funded institutions that the†US†national debt has reached $15 trillion, our present annual budget debt has reached $1.6 trillion. How our national libraries expect to avoid cost cutting measures that will eventually be applied to them. Libraries†across†the nation are struggling with basic financial needs with reports of numerous libraries being closed down for lack of funds to pay for their basic functions.†

The decision of the executives of three national libraries remind me of the Department of Defense desperate attempts to continue some weapon development programs from the cutting board despite†ballooning†costs, no completion date in sight, and questionable utilization of the weapons in the present mission of the military.

We can apply the same criteria to RDA as well.

"Business caseó† [on page 4]
The test revealed that there is little discernible immediate benefit in implementing RDA alone. The adoption of RDA will not result in significant cost savings in metadata creation. There will be inevitable and significant costs in training. Immediate economic benefit, however, cannot be the sole determining factor in the RDA business case. It must be determined if there are significant future enhancements to the metadata environment made possible by RDA and if those benefits, long term, outweigh implementation costs. The recommendations are framed to make this determination prior to implementation."

--†
Wojciech Siemaszkiewicz
New York Public Library
Library Services Center
31-11 Thompson Ave.
Long Island City, N.Y. 11101
(917) 229-9603
e-mail:†[log in to unmask]
Please note, any opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of The New York Public Library.