On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 17:48:55 -0400, Denenberg, Ray wrote
> Three.
> 1964/2008.
> (1) Does it mean that interval of time, or
> (2) Is it a way to represent when an event occurred, saying "it occurred
sometime between 1964 and 2008".

Its, depending upon the context, one or the other.. and even
(3) "They occured sometime between..."

They all, however, are based on the same concept of interval. The question
is what of the interval? The whole interval (e.g. every point in the
continuous temporal space)? A single point within an interval? One or more
points within an interval?

An interval applied as the value to an interval attribute --> interval (1)
An interval applied as the value to an attribute describing the date of an
event that took place at a specific instant in time --> "It occured sometime
between ..." (2)
An interval applued as value to an attribute describing the dates of a non-
determinate number of events (one or more)---> "They .." (3)

Between (1), (2) and (3) is not much. When we talk about the date of, for
example, an election we, I think, tend not to talk about the interval to
which one voted but specify the day (with day precision)?

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 19:12:42 +0200, [UTF-8?]SaaÅ¡ha Metsärantala wrote
> Hello!
>
> > the semantics of an interval, with respect to precision.
>
> > The interval: 1964/2008
> I consider that this means from "some date in 1964" to "some date in 2008".
>
> Likewise if an author's dates are *1964 [UTF-8?]†2008, I interpret
that: "some
> date in 1964" to "some date in 2008".
>
> > relax the restriction for an interval that the start and end precision
must be the same.
> I agree!
>
> > 1964/2008.
>
> > (1) Does it mean that interval of time,
> Yes, I think!
>
> > (2) Is it a way to represent when an event occurred, saying "it occurred
sometime between 1964 and 2008".
> I do not think so. Would not we use "one of a set" as of #203?

The "one of a set" can be defined within the application, e.g. external to
the date standard. What is "one of"? And how do we view an event? As a
discrete instant in time? Or as a span? Or does the use of the model
of "instant" only derive from expressive precision? A play, for example, is
played out over an interval of time.. yet how often do we just speak of the
day upon which it was presented?

> [1964..2008]
>
> Or is that (maybe) a question of "reliability"? In that case, I would

No..

--

Edward C. Zimmermann, NONMONOTONIC LAB
http://www.nonmonotonic.net