I've thought more about this and am convinced that if the spec is to include  URIs (for example, in temporal expressions) then they're going to have to be explicitly distinguished. Heuristics to determine that an expression is a URI is not going to work.  (I can elaborate on that if anyone wants me to.)

I first suggested that we should enclose them in parentheses when they are used as temporal expressions in intervals. But (a) that won't work, and (b) they need to be distinguished as URIs whether they are temporal expression in intervals or used for some other purpose, e.g. a season qualifier.

So I suggest that URIs within the spec be enclosed in quotes.

(Saašha has said that quotes cause problems but I am not sure exactly what those problems are, or if they are serious enough that we need to avoid them.)

--Ray